Sport touring motorcycles in the Philippines
A sport touring motorcycle or sport-tourer is a cross between a sportbike and touring motorcycle. This unusual combination allows it to have the performance and speed of a sports-type and can travel long distances much like most touring motorcycles.
This type of motorcycle has a good balance of qualities that are focused on providing safety and comfort to its driver. Sport-tourers also have a large windshield or fairing that protects its driver from excessive drag and dirt.
Competitiveness of sport tourers
The sport touring motorcycle segment is a competitive class which targets mostly cross-country motorcyclists who wants to travel great distances in a shorter period of time. Many manufacturers have acknowledged the growing market for this type of bike, enough for them to develop purpose-built engines exclusive for sport-tourers.
Models like Honda ST1300 and Yamaha FJR1300A are some of the best examples of this type of motorcycle. The majority of sport-tourers on the market usually use the technology and engineering of their previous or current generations, but are equipped with newer feature.
The major difference between sport and touring bikes
A quick glance at a sport-tourer and you would initially think it was a sportbike. However, there are some defining characteristics that separate a sport touring bike from sport or touring motorcycles, such as:
- Larger fairing or windshield
- More relaxed steering angle and a longer wheelbase
- Usually equipped with with a lockable and detachable hard luggage box/es
- Higher ground clearance than a touring bike
- Comes with an ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
Other examples of sports tourers
Most motorcycle manufacturers have at least one sport touring motorcycle in their fleet. German brand BMW, for example, produces lots of sport-tourers such as the BMW R1200ST A 2005 model of this motorcycle costs P550,000, based on Carmudi PH’s listings.
When buying sports touring bikes it is important to remember that another segment called “adventure bikes” has recently risen in the market. Some of the important things to remember are:
- Always look for extra items such as waterproof hard luggage
- These motorcycles usually have high mileage. Always check the motorcycle’s condition.
- Research first. Check the model’s data such as speed, safety features, and fuel tank capacity.