LTFRB to extend validity of traditional jeeps' franchise

Modernized PUVs

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) will further extend the validity of traditional jeeps’ franchises.


  • What is the LTFRB's rationale on extending the validity of traditional jeeps' franchise?

    LTFRB Chair Teofilo Guadiz III said that the Board extended the validity of the traditional jeeps' franchises to ensure that no one will be left behind by the government's public utility vehicle modernization program. 
  • What is the LTFRB's target volume for jeepneys that have transitioned to modern vehicles before continuing the PUVMP?

    Guadiz said that the target volume on the number of jeepneys ready for the transition is at least 95 percent.
  • The agency said that the aforementioned move was to ensure that no driver will be left behind by the government’s Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program (PUVMP).

    LTFRB Chairman Atty. Teofilo Guadiz III confirmed the Board’s decision to extend the franchises of the traditional jeep for the fourth time.

    However, Guadiz said that the details pertaining to the rules related to the invalidation of the franchises of traditional jeeps must be finalized first.

    LTFRB logo

    Per the LTFRB chair, around 60 percent of the jeepney operators have already transitioned to PUVMP, while the remaining 40 percent has yet to participate in the government thrust.

    Hindi namin gustong mayroong maiiwan, kaya nais namin na kahit 95 percent lang ng mga dyip ang maging handa na kapag itinuloy namin ang PUV modernization program (We don't want anyone to be left behind, so we want at least 95 percent of the jeepneys to be ready when we continue the PUV modernization program),” Guadiz was quoted as saying.

    “However, sa meeting, pag-uusapan din namin kung may mga area na talagang fully-modernized na, baka doon ilatag na namin nang tuluyan iyong full modernization (program). But on areas na kulang-kulang pa o wala pang modernized jeepney, we will still stick to the traditional jeepney (However, in the meeting, we will also talk about if there are areas that are really fully modernized, maybe we will carry out the full modernization [program> there. But in areas that still lack or don't have modernized jeepneys, we will still stick to the traditional jeepney),” he added.


    Aside from noting that not all jeeps are ready to be modernized, Guadiz also said that the LTFRB took into account other problems in the transportation sector, which include the lack of public vehicles that will serve commuters.

    Further, Guadiz said that the Board is currently studying the possibility of assigning two or three cooperatives to each route that the operators and drivers can join in.

    Moreover, the LTFRB is also set to extend the window for complying with the regulations under the PUVMP. “I instructed all regional directors to guide our jeepney drivers (about the ways on how to comply),” Guadiz shared.

    Photos from Department of Transportation, Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, Ruben Manahan IV

    Also read:

    LTFRB nabs 20 modern PUV units for overloading

    PUVMP to Push Thorugh, DOTr Clarifies

    Group slams Tugade for pushing PUVMP amid COVID-19 pandemic

    Read All

    Featured Articles

    Featured Trucks

    Truck Articles From Zigwheels

    • News
    • Article Feature