The 2021 Jeep Gladiator is FCA's 'most capable midsize truck ever'
The 2021 Jeep Gladiator has one thing that its competition doesn't have: the most torque and best driving range in its lineup. Thanks to its 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine, it promises best driving performance while maximizing fuel efficiency on the road.
There are several important factors that contribute to the new EcoDiesel’s improved dynamic and fuel economy performance:
- Increased efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions due to its new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) and low-friction bearing
- Redesigned cylinder head intake ports with higher flow capability that helps improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
- Updated exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system designed to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, lessening turbocharger energy losses, resulting to increased fuel economy
- Optimized compression ratio, from 16.0:1 from 16.5:1 for better fuel economy and reduced engine noise
- Redesigned high-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber, resulting to decreased fuel consumption
- Fully-redesigned, lightweight aluminum alloy pistons that now include thinner rings and low-friction diamond-like carbon coating on the pin and compression piston ring to lessen parasitic losses
- Improved NVH by offsetting the piston pin 0.3 millimeters from the centerline
- Reduced NVH, due to the use of a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material on the lower portion of the two-piece oil sump
“Gladiator’s combination of unmatched off-road capability and the vehicle’s fun-to-drive on-road performance, best-ever Gladiator fuel economy and incredible driving range underwrite the fact that our customers knew exactly what they were asking for.”
Boasting of a 3.0-literEcoDiesel V-6 engine, the newest Jeep Gladiator offers 260-hp and 600 N-m of torque. It has 40 individual shift maps to optimize shift points for fuel economy, performance and 4x4 capability.
The newest Gladiator is available in Gladiator Sport, Overland and Rubicon models with a stop-start (ESS) technology standard in its engine. Meanwhile, its EcoDiesel V-6 has a newly added TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission, calibrated for low RPM shifts to fully handle greater torque loads.
Photo Credits: FCA, FCA (Facebook)