At Last, Marcos Bridge Rehab to Take Place This Weekend
Following the two previous postponements, the rehabilitation project of the Marcos Bridge will finally commence this weekend.
In a news briefing, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) General Manager Jojo Garcia announced that the project shall take place starting this Saturday, May 25.
Garcia said that the eastbound portion of Marcos Bridge along Marcos Highway will be closed starting 11 PM.
“After two weeks of preparations, it is definite now. Marcos Bridge will be closed for the next four months to give way to its long-overdue rehabilitation,” Garcia said.
Previously set on May 4, the rehabilitation works was deferred after the MMDA found out in several ocular inspections that the contractor was not fully prepared to proceed with the project.
“Private contractors are now ready to push through with the rehabilitation after complying with the necessary requirements they need to address,” Garcia added.
Antipolo-bound light vehicles may use the westbound direction while those Cubao-bound may use the service road in front of SM Marikina.
Built in 1979, the bridge that sits at the boundary of Marikina and Pasig has an average traffic of 6,400 vehicles per hour for both directions.
With that, MMDA issued traffic advisories were also installed around the site of the project.
Motorists and truckers are advised to take the following alternative routes:
Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
2. From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road, straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
Antipolo to Cubao Routes:
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down tamp to Marcos Bridge service road then FVR road, straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Boulevard, straight ahead to Cubao.
4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao Route:
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao.