FIA Launches Safety Probe into F2 Driver’s Death
Racecar drivers put their lives on the line every time they race. The death of F2 driver Anthoine Hubert when he crashed during a circuit race on Saturday, August 31, served as a brutal reminder of that.
Michael Masi, race director at Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), said that they have launched an investigation into the French driver’s untimely death.
"Safety is ever evolving," said Masi. "I've said it before and I'll repeat it. Safety is one of the core pillars of the FIA, part of why it exists. That is something that just won't stop. We'll continue to research and look at things and improve them as best we can."
Hubert, 22, experienced a fatal collision on the Spa-Francorchamps circuit during the Belgian Grand Prix. A member of the Renault Sport Academy development team, Hubert crashed into an exit wall and veered back into the track, after which his vehicle collided with the car of fellow driver Juan Manuel Correa.
The impact destroyed Hubert’s vehicle completely.
Correa, 20, suffered broken legs and a spinal injury, and remains in intensive care, although reports say that he is in stable condition.
It is standard practice for FIA to conduct any investigation into any fatal race-related accident, and does not mean that anyone will be facing criminal charges.
"We would like to extend our deepest condolences to Anthoine’s family, loved ones, and friends," the FIA said in a statement. "Anthoine has been part of our paddock since 2017. He was a fantastic driver who had a bright future ahead of him. He became GP3 Series Champion last year, and this season, he won twice in Formula 2, taking victories in Monaco, and at his home race in Le Castellet."
"He was kind to everyone, always smiling, and his positive attitude was infectious. He will be dearly missed," the FIA concluded.