Honda has announced this week that it has added Android Auto for the current-model Gold Wing. This means that owners of Honda’s flagship touring bike with 2018 versions and onward, will be able to seamlessly enjoy Android-based application services such as music, messaging and phone calls.
The update is compatible with smartphone devices equipped with Android 5.0 or later. Connection with a Bluetooth headset is required to ensure complete hands-free operation.
The new feature is totally free of charge, so Gold Wing owners can update their systems at no additional cost. Although Honda warns that app and communication costs may apply depending on user application.”
“Honda’s flagship touring model is already the world’s first motorcycle to offer Apple CarPlay integration, a feature that has been enthusiastically received by customers,” the company said in a statement. “Now, customers with Android 5.0 or later smartphones and the Android Auto app can also seamlessly enjoy application services.”
To make the update, Honda provides the following instructions:
Format the drive
- Step one – Insert the USB drive into an available USB port on your computer.
- Step two – On your computer, locate the “removable disc” for the flash drive.
- Step three – Right-click and then select “Format” from the sub-menu.
- Step four – Click “Start.” When the warning message appears, click “OK.” (note: this step will erase all existing content from the drive.)
- Step five – Select “ntfs.” From the drop down menu and click “start.”
- Step six – Click “OK” when the “warning” message appears.
- Step seven – Click “OK” when the “format complete” message appears.
Download the software
- Step one – Download the software to your computer.
- Step two – Save the file (swdl.iso) to your computer. Do not change the file name.
- Step three – Copy the file (swdl.iso) onto your USB drive, without changing the file name.
- Step four – Once the download is complete, remove the USB drive from your computer.
Update your Gold Wing
- Step one – Connect the USB Drive containing the downloaded file to your motorcycle. Gold Wing Airbag models have the USB connector located in the trunk; all other Gold Wing models have the connector located in the center storage compartment in front of the seat.
- Step two – Turn your bike’s ignition switch twice to the right to engage the ACC position. Within one minute, a message should come up on your dashboard screen: “Do you want to update?”
- Step three – Using either the left handlebar Four-way key/ENT Switch or the Center Panel Interface Dial navigate the menu to “Yes,” and press “Enter.”
- Step four – The installation may take as long as an hour, but may be shorter depending on the update and region. The screen will show you approximately how much of the download has completed. Your Gold Wing’s ignition switch must remain in the ACC position for the entire duration of the update. Do not start your motorcycle.
- Step five – Towards the end of the update, the screen may show “99 percent complete” for several minutes. This is normal; let the system finish completely.
- Step six – When the installation is complete, the initial screen appears again and will ask if you want to update the system. Select “No” and remove the USB drive.
The Android Auto update can be downloaded from this link.
In the Philippines, the Honda Gold Wing sells for PHP 1.88 million.
Photo/s from Honda
Honda Motor Company Surpasses 400 Million Milestone
Honda Lights Up Sepang International Circuit with Fireblade