LTO Statistics: Registered Motor Vehicles in 2018 Increased to 11.4% Despite Excise Taxes
Assistant Secretary Edgar C. Galavante has revealed the latest LTO statistics during the 107th LTO Anniversary at Bulwagang Edukasyon at the LTO Central Office in East Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City last May 21.
Here are some of the things you need to know about it:
- The LTO registered 11.6 million motor vehicles in 2018, which is an increase of almost 1.2 million or 11.4 percent from the 2017 figure of 10.5 million.
- There are 7.5 million new drivers' licenses and permits issued in 2018, a 12.21-percent increase from the 6.63 million given in 2017.
- The number of apprehended drivers also increased in 2018, from 640,500 cases in 2017 to almost 680,000 in 2018. This gives an additional 38,700 apprehensions, which is six percent more compared to 2017.
- LTO has amassed a total of 6.25 million pieces of plastic cards to make into drivers' licenses just for this year. And as of April 30 this year, it has printed around 10.3 million plastic cards with the new 5-year validity period.
- LTO's total revenue in 2018 reached almost P24.2 billion, up by P1.5 billion or 6.6 percent from the P22.7 billion revenues it collected in 2017.
Inquirer reported some of LTO's plans (as given by Assistant Secretary Galvante). This included the preparations for the eventual issuance of drivers' licenses with 10-year validity periods; the online payment system and how it would facilitate payments for the initial registration of new motor vehicles; improvements in the motor vehicle inspection system (MVIS); law enforcement; and corruption.