MMDA postpones closure of General Malvar U-turn slot
Following the recent announcement of an upcoming closure of a U-turn slot alongn EDSA on Monday, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) immediately made another broadcast, this time postponing the move till next year.
Based on its Facebook post, the MMDA will postpone the closure of the u-turn slot in the major thoroughfare located near General Malvar/Bagong Barrio. The move, according to the agency will occur on January 4.
“Ipinagpaliban muna ang pagsara ng U-turn slot na malapit sa General Malvar/Bagong Barrio. Sa January 4, 2021 na ito isasara. Manatiling nakatutok para sa karagdagang updates tungkol sa efforts ng MMDA para mapabilis ang biyahe sa EDSA Busway,” the social media post stated.
The innermost lane of EDSA, where all U-turns are located, has been designated as the lane exclusive for public utility buses (PUBs) under the EDSA Busway system.
In their statement issued earlier this week, MMDA Chair Danilo Lim said that they are in constant coordination with the DOTr, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), in exploring ways to facilitate faster movement of both commuters and private motorists along EDSA.
“The government’s goal of providing safe, reliable, and efficient travel for commuters along the country’s main thoroughfare will further continue in coordination with concerned agencies,” Lim said.
The start of the gradual closure of U-turn slots along EDSA began last September.
Photos from Ruben D. Manahan IV, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Facebook Page