Why You Should Keep Your Engine Bay Clean
When you use your car, the engine bay becomes an extremely hot and dank place to be. Such an environment invites the accumulation of dirt, grime, and sludge. And things can only get worse if there’s any fluid leaking from the components. Succinctly put, the more you drive your car, the more the icky stuff will gather in your vehicle’s engine bay. Most car owners keep their vehicles clean inside and out, but for some reason, the engine bay tends to be overly ignored. It’s not unusual to find a car with exterior and cabin surfaces that gleam, while the engine bay looks like it hasn’t been cleaned for decades. If this sounds like you, then perhaps you could use a little lesson on why you should keep your engine clean. Whether you forgo cleaning your engine because you don’t know how, don’t think it’s important, or are afraid you’ll damage an important vehicle component, consider these five talking points on the benefits of engine cleaning and why you should do it.
- It makes spotting potential problems easier. If your engine is filthy, it will be next to impossible to tell the leak’s source, much less if it is old or new. A clean engine makes minor problems easy to isolate and repair before they wreak havoc.
- It removes corrosive elements that could harm components if they’re allowed to accumulate.
- It gets rid of hotspot-causing debris, which could drastically shorten the life of the engine if allowed to accumulate in the engine bay.
- It prevents combustible materials from turning your vehicle into a fire hazard. Leaves or oil inside the engine bay can burn under extreme heat, which could spell disaster on the road and in the garage.
- It improves your car’s resale value, which can be useful should you decide to sell your car in the future.
If you decide that engine bay cleaning is not for you, you can always have a professional engine detailer handle the job. Whether you decide to take on the project on your own or delegate it to an expert, keeping your engine bay clean is a worthwhile endeavor worth undertaking for the sake of your vehicle’s engine life and also your own safety.