Toyota, Suzuki to Collaborate on Future Products
This means that the collaboration between the two Japanese carmakers will concentrate on Toyota's strength in electrification technologies and in Suzuki's strength in developing compact vehicles.
To be more specific, Toyota will look at the following:
- Supply THS (Toyota Hybrid System) to Suzuki;
- Widely spread hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) technologies in India through local procurement of HEV systems, engines, and batteries; and
- OEM supply of two new electrified vehicles built on Toyota platforms (RAV4, Corolla Wagon) to Suzuki in Europe.
- OEM supply of two compact vehicles built on Suzuki platforms (Ciaz and Ertiga) to Toyota in India;
- Toyota to adopt newly-developed Suzuki engines for compact vehicles. Such engines are to be supported by Denso and Toyota, and will be manufactured at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Poland; and
- OEM supply of Suzuki's India-produced vehicles (Baleno, Vitara Brezza, Ciaz, Ertiga) to Toyota, targeting the African market.
- Draw upon Suzuki's expertise in developing vehicles in India, a joint development of a Toyota C-segment MPV and OEM supply to Suzuki; and
- Production of the Suzuki-developed compact SUV Vitara Brezza at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd. (TKM) from 2022.
"At the time we announced our scope of cooperation in May last year, I spoke that we will strive for success globally," added Suzuki Chairman Osamu Suzuki. "I have seen progress in the partnership since then, and it is my pleasure to be able to make this announcement today regarding the status of partnership on a global basis, including Europe and Africa. In addition, we appreciate the kind offer from Toyota to let us make use of their hybrid technology. We will continue our utmost efforts."