Gov't relaxes lockdown, NCR Plus bubble upgraded to MECQ
Over the course of the weekend, the Philippine government once again relaxed the lockdown level in country, placing National Capital Region Plus under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) starting today until the end of the month.
The country is still reporting an average of more than 12,000 new cases each day.
The announcement was made by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, who himself was hospitalized due to COVID-19.
Following the announcement, the Metro Manila Council (MMC) has shortened the curfew hours.
In a statement, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Benhur Abalos said that Metro Manila mayors have agreed to implement unified curfew hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for the whole MECQ period. He said that local executives have the power to adjust curfew hours within their jurisdiction as approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID).
To note, the MMC, which is made up of 17 local government units in Metro Manila, is the policy-making body of the MMDA.
The last time that Metro Manila was in MECQ was back in August last year.
The MMDA chair reminded that authorized persons outside residence (APOR) are still exempted from the curfew provided they show proof of identification or certificate of employment to authorities.
Meanwhile, Santiago City in Isabela, Quirino Province as well as Abra are also placed under MECQ until the end of the month.
Regions placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) starting today until April 30 are as follows:
- Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)
- Cagayan, Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya (Region 2)
- Batangas, Quezon Province (Region 4-A)
- Tacloban City (Region 8)
- Iligan City (Region 10)
- Davao City (Region 11)
- Lanao del Sur
Roque added that the rest of the country that not mentioned will be placed under modified GCQ.
Photos from Ruben D. Manahan IV, Harry Roque's Facebook page