BMW preps for most comprehensive software upgrade yet
Starting this July, BMW performs its most comprehensive vehicle software upgrade to date. The move seeks to improve vehicle connectivity and navigation in BMW vehicles using the German carmaker’s 7th-gen operating system aka BMW iDrive 7.0, while also adding new features to the platform.
These updates will be done over-the-air, so BMW owners need not bring their vehicles to a dealership to avail them.
BMW lists the new upgrades that will be added, which will be available beginning this third quarter.
- BMW Maps offers a completely new navigation experience: Faster, more intuitive, and more accurate. Destinations can be entered more easily. New cloud-based route calculation brings a significant improvement in performance. BMW Maps also provides contextual information for points of interest, such as ratings, business hours and images. Connected Parking also supports the search for parking spaces with additional services.As a new and globally unique digital service, BMW eDrive Zone plug-in hybrids automatically allow emission-free local driving.
- Connected Charging is making mobility more sustainable and innovative. BMW is supplementing it with Charging Management and other functions.
- The BMW Digital Key, which has just been announced at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, turns an iPhone into a fully digital – and secure - vehicle key.
- With the upgrade, BMW vehicles receive wireless support of Google’s Android Auto.
- The BMW I ntelligent Personal Assistant is getting a new design and has been enhanced with numerous intelligent functions. For example, the virtual character now turns towards the person talking and can distinguish between addressing the driver and the passenger.
- Since 2018, the Remote Software Upgrade has enabled BMW drivers to keep their vehicle up to date with the latest software, just like with a smartphone. The new functions can be downloaded and installed over-the-air. This is particularly convenient and extremely fast: even for extensive upgrades, hardly more than 20 minutes of pure installation time is required.
- With Remote Software Upgrade, BMW also offers its customers maximum flexibility and security when booking optional extras at a later date – regardless of whether the vehicle is new or used.
BMW’s iDrive 7.0 operating system is installed in many of the brand’s cars from 2018 onwards, including the recently unveiled 2021 X5 xDrive45e PHEV.
Photos from BMW